Re: How to grab music from remote cdrom?

On Friday 22 January 2010 12:50:29 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:
> >Once you get the data, you can encode to FLAC, Vorbis, or MP3 on a
> > different, fast machine easily.
>
> You are correct, but how would You fill its meta data (Artist, Title, etc)
>  in FLAC then?

There are a number of services that match tags to tracks through audio
fingerprinting, rather than the album fingerprinting that cddb and freedb do.

If you'd rather tag through CDDB-like services, you can use minimal
compression on FLAC in order to avoid taxing the slow system, but allowing
tags to be stored with that data.  Then, you transcode FLAC->whatever
retaining tags on the fast machine, which as much compression as you like.

Since FLAC is a losses format, the encoder on the fast machine will get the
exact same input data that the slow machine read from the CD.

> >I'm not sure unfiltered remote access to attached SCSI devices is a
> > "better solution".
>
> Pardon, what do mean by saying "unfiltered"?

If you can write to the character device, you can send raw commands to the
SCSI device.  While most devices are designed to fail before they do damage to
them, you might not be that lucky.  At the very least, an attacker could be
very annoying by locking the device closed when it doesn't have a disk in it,
and always ejecting the device when a disk was in it.