Re: How to grab music from remote cdrom?

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 11:00:12 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
> >So, why not extract the audio in that same computer? Then you can share
> >the extracted content over the network, as usual...
>
> The machine is very weak as touching its CPU power.

You shouldn't need many free cycles or much RAM to rip CDDA (on CD) to WAV (on
disk).  You might need as much as 800MiB free, but you could do it a track at
a time if you don't have that much.  Or, the WAV files could be written to a
writeable file system share (NFS, Samba, whatever) without complications.

Once you get the data, you can encode to FLAC, Vorbis, or MP3 on a different,
fast machine easily.

> So I did - just before
>  was looking for the better solution (i.e. remote /dev/hdc use)

I'm not sure unfiltered remote access to attached SCSI devices is a "better
solution".