/etc/resolv.conf and resolvconf

Sometime ago, I switched to OpenDNS using the resolvconf program.  I now want
to switch back to the default DNS provided by the gateway - 192.168.1.254,
which, I think, passes over to ATT's server.  I'd use resolvconf, but I
forgot how and the man page isn't much help to me.  So, I purged resolvconf;
now the only instance of resolvconf  is the deb file in apt archives
and /etc/resolv.conf is no longer a symlink.   I then manually
changed /etc/resolv.conf.  However, upon a dhcp request resolv.conf reverts
to OpenDNS.  I tried  entering "prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.254"
in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf - but no relief.  What's overwriting resolv.conf,
and how do I stop it?