Re: HTTP Filter Proxy

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:15:07AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2010-01-21, Glenn English <ghe@slsware.com> wrote:
> >
> > Filter what? Privoxy does a reasonable job on ads. Squid has acls and
> > a bunch of other stuff that you config yourself. And they can run in
> > serial...
>
> Seconded. Privoxy chained with squid make a good combination. There are
> plenty of tutorials on the web to help you set it up.

Another vote for privoxy. You can configure it to block whatever you like
based on URL pattern or HTTP headers (e.g. Content-Type), not to mention
blocking just cookies, rewriting content (e.g. adding or removing
autocomplete="off" in form tags), etc. I think there is even a facility to
block images based on dimensions, though I haven't played with it.

Unless you need the caching, though, I don't see much value in adding squid
to the mix. I've been using privoxy alone for years with great success.
> Liam
--Greg