Re: Synchronize two computers

You need cross connected cable to connect 2 pc via lan card .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

After connecting 2 pc via that cable you just put ip address of same class . Then you can communicate between 2 pcs

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> I just bought the Acer One netbook, on which Lenny seems to work fine.
>>> What I need now is:
>>>
>>> 1) connect it to my old Hyundai laptop so to share data between the two;
>>>
>>> 2) periodically save, e.g. to the Hyundai the changes I made in my home
>>> directory in the Acer and viceversa.  I wish that only the files that
>>> really changed were copied, so to save useless time.
>>>
>>> Can anybody provide suggestions about both issues?  I've never connected
>>> two machines together.

Thanks to all who replied!

It seems that Samba and rsync are the two best way to do what I want.  I
regularly use rsync to do my daily backups, but:

1) how do I connect the two machines?  Any special cable, and where to put it?

2) it seems to me that rsync processes *all* the files and not only the ones
  that really have changed, which would take long with my 2G home dir.  Maybe
  some special option of rsync?

Thanks again
Rodolfo