Re: inserting USB key causes reboot (sometimes)

On Saturday 16 January 2010 19:45:14 Rob Owens wrote:
> I need help diagnosing a problem.  I have a Lenny system that sometimes
> reboots when I insert a USB key.  It happens with multiple USB keys, but
> I can't figure out the pattern as to when it reboots and when it
> doesn't.

While my current system does not have this problem, my older system would
occasionally reboot when something was plugged in.

It's probably a problem with the port(s).  When something is plugged in, it
starts supplying USB power, this causes a voltage drop, some capacitor empties
and the system shuts down.  It's like an (extremely) localized brownout.

Still, the symptoms you describe could be caused by virtually anything in the
chain from device to kernel.  Since you can't seem to isolate it to a certain
device, I would suggest that the next troubleshooting steps would be to try to
isolated it to a port or kernel.

So, you might try to get the symptoms to show on Debian/kFreeBSD and make sure
you can get the symptoms to show on every port.