Re: How to grab music from remote cdrom?

On Thursday 14 January 2010 06:40:42 Sthu Deus wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Boyd:
> >Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
> >character device in addition (or instead of) the block device.  The
> > character device should allow more fine-grained control and also access
> > to sub-channel data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]
>
> I want to use cdda2wav util...

Using -interface cooked_ioctl might work on a device shared via ATAoE, iSCSI,
or NBD.

Using -interface generic_scsi will probably not work unless the program can
correctly determine and access the raw SCSI (character-oriented) device.  I do
not know of a way to share any character-oriented device over the network.

(ssh $cd_host 'cdda2wav -D $cd_device -x -s -paranoia -' > FullCD.wav) or
something similar should work if you can install cdda2wav on the computer
containing the CD drive but you don't have enough disk space for WAV file on
that computer.