Re: Ubuntu 8.10 sees my home partition, sid of Dec. 25 doesn't

Jon Dowland wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:10:29AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

/dev/hda10   4366  4870  4056381  83 Linux

To me the problem is clearly about the file system not the partition.

This seems like an interesting problem. I'm still mostly
convinced it is actually a partition problem. 10 is quite a high
number. I wonder if you've surpassed a limitation of the DOS
partition table scheme and Ubuntu is more lax than Debian.

I'm only sending the relevant line since I have to type it.

Sorry to make you type more, but could you please provide
the "fdisk -l" output for your hard drive, from Ubuntu and
Debian, using the hda or sda device as appropriate? I'm
interested in the device name, and the start and end
numbers; you can omit blocks, Id and System. From the header
before the listing, I'd be interested in the number of
cylinders, not the rest.

To try to concentrate things in a reasonable direction I used Knoppix 5.1 this time. It also accesses my home directory files just fine.

sudo fdisk -l
gives:

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40060403712 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4870 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

  Device Boot
/dev/hda10   4366 4870 4056381 83 Linux

Thanks,

Paul