Re: Ubuntu 8.10 sees my home partition, sid of Dec. 25 doesn't

Jon Dowland wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 08:10:29AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:

/dev/hda10   4366  4870  4056381  83 Linux

To me the problem is clearly about the file system not the partition.

This seems like an interesting problem. I'm still mostly
convinced it is actually a partition problem. 10 is quite a high
number. I wonder if you've surpassed a limitation of the DOS
partition table scheme and Ubuntu is more lax than Debian.

Any ideas as to what aspect of Debian or Ubuntu would be more lax?

I should mention that this system has been working fine for at least two years until this last reboot. I now don't remember why I rebooted on Dec. 25 but it might have been because something had temporarily filled one of my partitions.
I'm only sending the relevant line since I have to type it.

Sorry to make you type more, but could you please provide
the "fdisk -l" output for your hard drive, from Ubuntu and
Debian, using the hda or sda device as appropriate? I'm
interested in the device name, and the start and end
numbers; you can omit blocks, Id and System. From the header
before the listing, I'd be interested in the number of
cylinders, not the rest.

For Debian the cyl. number is 4870 which is also the upper limit of the partition in question.

I also have now seen some information in dmesg which might indicate that there might be a sequencing problem during booting:

hda: Host Protected Area detected.
current capacity is 66055248 (33820 MB)
native  capacity is 76242976 sectors (40060 MB)

hda: 66055248 sectors (33820 MB) w/1824KiB Cache, CHS=65531/16/63
hda: cache flushes supported
hda:
ide-cd driver 5.00
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda8 hda9 >
hda: p9 size 15631182 exceeds device capacity, enabling native capacity
hda: detected capacity change from 33820286976 to 40060403712

I will send this now because of its possibilities and check the Ubuntu fdisk soon (if I can stay awake)

Thanks for your interest,

Paul