Re: Undefined video mode number: 314

On 2010-01-13 at 12:34:40 -0500, Stanisław T. Findeisen wrote:
> Yeah, but what *are* those "sync frequency ranges"?
> Sorry I don't understand.  My monitor's manual does not
> specify any display modes with vertical refresh rate >86Hz.
> Is it so, that there are "hidden modes" available that are
> not specified in the manual? For instance some low resolution,
> few colors and 160Hz vertical refresh rate?

I think you're confusing standard modes and physics.
A sync frequency range, horizontal or vertical, is a range
of frequencies within which the monitor is capable of
"syncing" (synchronizing).  It is the range of frequencies
within which the monitor is capable of producing a stable
picture.  If the monitor is "in sync", the same pixel will
be in exactly the same place on the screen, scan after scan
after scan.  If the monitor is out of sync, the pixel's
position will drift from scan to scan, producing an
unstable image which may not even be recognizable.

The display modes listed in your monitor's manual are
standard display modes that the manufacturer recommends.
And they will of course be within spec.  That is, those modes
will have a horizontal refresh rate that is within
the horizontal sync frequency range and a vertical refresh rate
that is within the vertical sync frequency range.
Does that mean that every video card will be capable of
displaying all of these modes?  No.  The limits of the video
card, such as the maximum pixel clock rate, etc., may limit
which of these standard modes can actually be displayed.

Does that
mean that the modes listed in the manual are the only modes
that will work?  No.  It is possible to create your own
homemade video mode.  It may have an odd-ball screen resolution,
like 700x525 for example.  It may have a high vertical refresh
rate.  But there are trade-offs.  You can't eat your cake and
have it too.

If you want a video mode with a vertical refresh rate of 85 Hz,
you can create one.  But you will have to sacrifice resolution
to get it.  You can't get 85 Hz vertical refresh at 1024x768
resolution with this video card.  It's dot clock can't go
high enough for that.

There are a huge number of theoretically possible video modes
that can be created that are within the design limits.  But
I'd stick with the standard ones if I were you.  The newer
digital flat-screen monitors are generally much more fussy
about which video modes they will support than the older
analog CRT-based monitors.  75 Hz is really quite good.
Be content.