Re: How to grab music from remote cdrom?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 1/13/2010 9:27 AM:
> In <[🔎] pan.2010.01.13.09.18.33@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:16:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>>> I wonder if there is a way how I can grab a music CD from remote cdrom
>>> (on a remote machine) - that is I need to use its /dev/hdc as my own?
>>
>> How about exporting the CD as another regular share (via samba or NFS)?
>> Then just follow the usual way to access the share in the client machine.
>
> Samba and NFS share file systems.  A Music CD does not have a file system on
> it.[1]
>
>> In the event you need more specific features, there is aldo NBD:
>
> NBD shares block devices.  Most CD rippers prefer (or require) the use of the
> character device in addition (or instead of) the block device.  The character
> device should allow more fine-grained control and also access to sub-channel
> data that the block device doesn't expose.[2]
>
> ATAoE or iSCSI *might* be able to do the sharing you need but, most likely,
> they will be in the same category as NBD.
>
> [1] Depends on what you consider a file system, I guess.  But, CDDA data is
> generally not presented by the OS as just another file system.

This is a somewhat sad situation when you think about it for a split second.
Sharing a music CD over a Linux network should be as easy as any other platform.
 Windows 95 could share a music CD over NETBEUI networks 15 years ago strictly
by right clicking the CD device, selecting "share", and assigning a share name,
with or without password protection.  The individual music files showed up in a
network folder in the Explorer browser on remote machines.  All one had to do to
play the music was double click the files.  And, IIRC, Windows Media Player
would allow you to auto "play list" the entire music CD.  It's been along
time...that feature may have required "mounting" the remote share with a local
drive letter.  Anyway, it worked, and worked well.

I guess this is one area where M$ is just simply 15 years ahead of Linux.
Doesn't make me happy.  Then again, this situation probably exists more due to a
lack of user demand than anything else.  Most folk keep their music on one flash
device (iPod/MP3 player) or another these days and have little need for music
CDs, rebbook, MP3, or otherwise.

--
Stan