Re: No flamewar please!

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 08:00:32PM -0500, Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 03:11:23PM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> > James Allsopp wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm using gnome but want to remove all traces of mono from my system,
> > > I've a clean install of Squeeze.
> > >
> > > Can I,
> > >  apt-get purge mono-2.0-gac mono-gac mono-runtime tomboy
> > >
> > > No offence, if you want to use it fine, but I'd like rid of it. Tried
> > > running with simulate and it seems to want to get rid of gnome too.
> > >

> > As I recall, mono is part of the Gnome meta-package, so removal of
> > gnome requires the removal of package 'gnome'. This doesn't remove any
> > of the real packages that make up the Gnome DE, though (except those
> > that do require Mono, of which ISTR there are non-mono alternatives).
> >
> > This is all based on heresay, though, I don't use Gnome and have never
> > uninstalled Mono.
> >
> I'm not sure if squeeze has this, but lenny has got a meta package
> called gnome-desktop-environment.  It basically installs gnome with not
> as many default apps, and doesn't include any mono apps.
>
> Maybe this could be useful to you.

I think meta-packages SUCK RAW what's ma-doodles.

Years ago I went ahead with the "wipe out Gnome" recommendation, the one
that package managers will be wont to present unsuspecting users with sooner
or later as a result of these meta-contraptions from H-E-Double-Toothpicks.

I made sure to weed out all the meta-schmeta stuff too.

I just reinstalled Gnome packages as I needed and/or wanted, which dragged
in dependencies and necessary aspects of Gnome.  The first included the
essential components of the desktop WITHOUT a meta land mine.  One learns
about their desktop that way also.

I avoid meta-packages assiduously. These offenders make up the meta-gnome2
source package:

gnome
    The GNOME Desktop Environment, with extra components
gnome-accessibility
    The GNOME desktop environment -- accessibility components
gnome-api-docs
    API reference documentation for the GNOME libraries
gnome-core
    The GNOME Desktop Environment -- essential components
gnome-core-devel
    The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development components
gnome-dbg
    debugging symbols for the GNOME desktop environment
gnome-desktop-environment
    The GNOME Desktop Environment
gnome-devel
    The GNOME Desktop Environment -- development tools
gnome-office
    The GNOME Office suite

Pull them out by the roots!!

--- End of Spew ---