Re: Java plugins in 64bit Debian

On 2010-01-11 at 15:32:54 -0500, Alex Samad wrote:
> for some reason we (the user of debian) are being pushed to use icedtea
> and its java plugin, I don't have a problem with this except for the
> fact that the plugin isn't a drop in replacement for the sun plugin, but
> its turning into a grin and bear it.

Sun Java is not "free" in the sense of "freedom".  In other words, it does
not meet the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG).  That is also why
Sun Java is relegated to the "non-free" portion of the Debian archive.
Unless and until Sun decides to release their software under a license
that meets the standards of the DFSG, it will never be the default java
code on a Debian system.  That is pretty much guaranteed by the Debian
Social Contract.

If you want Sun Java, you'll have to install it yourself.