Re: current debian/lenny (stable) support for various RAID chipsets

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:10:20 +0000, michael wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
>> using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
>> dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).
>>
>> Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
>> they are a bit expensive.
>>
>> Greetings,
> Camaleon, many thanks for the reply. Looks like the PROMISE one may be
> problematic but the VIA one okay (is that correct reading?).

I'd say both chipsets are supported by any of "libata" or "ahci" drivers,
depending on the BIOS settings for SATA modes.

> Note that at the moment I'm thinking of just using a single SATA (ie no
> RAID) but these seem to be the controllers so I'm presuming I need them
> to work okay!

Please note that the above page lists the status for the "RAID" feature.
Standard use of sata disks (non-raid setup) should be o.k.

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/A8V+Deluxe

Greetings,

--
Camaleón