Re: current debian/lenny (stable) support for various RAID chipsets

On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 16:53 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:53:05 +0000, michael wrote:
>
> > Folks, I'm wondering where best to find out if Debian Lenny has support
> > for the SATA/RAID chipsets on my Asus A8V Deluxe mobo, specifically the
> > Promise PDC20378 and VIA VT8237 controllers? I'd date to buy a new SATA
> > disk and find I can't use it! Please let me know if I've missed out any
> > vital info
>
> Not specific for Debian, but you have a list of sata raid chipsets and
> their status in this page:
>
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html
>
> Side note: if you are considering mounting a RAID system, I would avoid
> using the so-called "fakeraid" chipsets (BIOS/RAID and driver -or dm-
> dependendant) and better go with a pure linux software raid (md).
>
> Another good option should be acquiring a real hardware raid card but
> they are a bit expensive.
>
> Greetings,
Camaleon, many thanks for the reply. Looks like the PROMISE one may be
problematic but the VIA one okay (is that correct reading?). Note that
at the moment I'm thinking of just using a single SATA (ie no RAID) but
these seem to be the controllers so I'm presuming I need them to work
okay! Thanks, Michael