Re: Recommended NIC module

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

Mathias put forth on 1/10/2010 1:25 PM:

Yesterday I
complied my own kernel so now I'm doing the finishing touches on the
system.

If you're compiling your own kernels, add the e100 driver into the kernel
instead of as a module.  I've got an 82558 and 82559 in the same machine and
both work great without problems using the e100 kernel driver.

Also, you mentioned etho and eth1 being bumped around.  Udev did this to me with
the same two eth cards mentioned above when I moved one of them to a different
PCI slot.  I then researched the problem and had to create a udev rule to always
name the 82559 as eth0 and 82558 as eth1.  I'm guessing something similar
happened to you when you first noticed problems.  This isn't a problem with the
ethernet drivers but is a problem with udev.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that sounds like it, as I recall it. It was a few years ago since I installed it, and I can't rememeber the error messages and such, and I have wiped it clean, this past week. I was wresting with that issue for a while, but forgot about it, and then now when it totally stopped working after the update, I thought it was time to change a few things. Mysql server failed to start, etc. Whenever I installed another kernel than the working (2.6.22 or 24) it wouldn't boot, just re-start itself. Of course I could have stayed with it and try to resolve all this issues, as I always did in the past, but I guess I am getting old and lazy, so I just installed Etch and it worked, upgraded to lenny and now everything seems to work fine. :)

But if you want, I can start digging in memory archives, and try to back track all that was faulty with the old setup. ;)

Mat