Re: 100mbit router

Vadkan Jozsef put forth on 1/10/2010 6:53 AM:
> I have a 30/20 Mbit internet connection.
>
> I want to buy a new router, because the old one: DL-604 is no longer
> supported.
>
> What router should I buy, that can handle a 30/20 connection?
>
> No wifi, only ethernet.
>
> Are there cheap routers that supports VLANs and can handle this speed
> [uploading and downloading at the same time]?

I think you mean "VPN" not "VLAN".  Yes?  Depends on your definition of "cheap".

> It would share the connection to ~4 pc's.

This unit may be slightly "pricey" but you won't be left wanting for performance
or features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9926/index.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124127

It will handle 30/20 just fine, and probably much more.  50 concurrent IPSEC VPN
tunnels.  And if you get a second 30/20 line, it will outbound load balance
across the two connections.  Inbound load balancing would require cooperation
from your broadband provider.

Or you could always just build your own with Linux.  Although, you'd spend more
on decent hardware if you went that route and you'd have less ports.  And it
wouldn't look as sexy as this Cisco unit.

--
Stan