Re: unable to open mailbox

RobertHoltzman put forth on 1/9/2010 5:45 PM:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 10:27:33AM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>> Klistvud wrote:
>>> I've heard maildir is more robust than mbox in that regard. Can anybody
>>> confirm if that's true or not?
>>>

>> I'd say so. Since each message is a file, if one file gets corrupted
>> only that message will be affected.
>
> But it slows down searches.

That's the general wisdom regarding search performance, but I'm not so sure that
its correct for modern systems and software.  I haven't located any modern
apples-apples benchmarks of mbox vs maildir.  Dovecot supports both mailbox
formats and its mbox code has been heavily optimized.  It would be nice to see
this http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/ benchmark performed today but
testing dovecot-mbox vs dovecot-maildir.

--
Stan