grub directory missing (but grub still runs!)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, using the synaptic package manager, I got:

Removing xcircuit ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 (2.6.26-19lenny2) ...
Running depmod.
Running mkinitramfs-kpkg.
Not updating initrd symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.26-19 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated/reinstalled
(2.6.26-19 was configured last, according to dpkg)
Running postinst hook script update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ...
No GRUB directory found.
To create a template run 'mkdir /boot/grub' first.
To install grub, install it manually or try the 'grub-install' command.
### Warning, grub-install is used to change your MBR. ###

User postinst hook script [update-grub] exited with value 1
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 (--configure):
------snip------

and despite the fact that the grub directory was missing, grub still
loaded and worked as expected at startup, giving me access to Lenny
and WinXP Pro.

So I did:

mkdir /boot/grub
apt-get install grub

and this has resolved the error with the post-installation script.
However when grub runs, I still see the old "menu.lst" from my
previous (dual-boot) version of grub, not the new "menu.lst" that
appears in the newly created /boot/grub directory, which has no
reference to a dual boot system. I was also not able to find any other
copies of menu.lst.

Would appreciate any suggestions on what is going on here.

Thanks,
Carlos