Re: Undefined video mode number: 314

On 2010-01-09 at 12:52:03 -0500, Stanisław T. Findeisen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to install Debian 5.0.3 on AMD 64 platform. My motherboard
> is ASUS K8U-X (Socket 754). I downloaded debian-503-amd64-netinst.iso
> and chose "graphical expert install". Then I got this:
>
> Undefined video mode number: 314
>
> and was offered a selection of a number of text modes.
>
> I continued installation in text mode, but now I am unable to run X. I
> guess graphical login should appear, but instead the monitor turns off.
> I can however switch to text console and use Debian in text mode.
>
> Any ideas? I need graphical mode!

Exactly how do you "switch to text console"?  Do you use Ctrl+Alt+F1?
If so, does the procedure work if you simply use Alt+F1?  Or does it not
work unless you include Ctrl?  What I'm trying to determine here is
if the X server really did start.  If it did, but you have a black screen,
then Ctrl+Alt+F1 would work to switch you to a text console, but Alt+F1
would not work.  You haven't told us anything about your video chipset
or monitor either.  A good place to start would be to examine the file
/var/log/Xorg.0.log to look for error messages.

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

might help too.  From what little information I have to go on, it sounds
like the X server has chosen a video mode that your monitor cannot handle.
Please provide specifics on your video card, video chipset, and monitor.