Capturing keypresses during screensaver.

When using Gnome on Lenny,

If the user starts typing while a screensaver is operating, the character
representing the first keypress is lost.  Is there a way that the
screensaver can send this character to the focused application?

I have a scenario where a person operates a barcode scanner which emulates
a keyboard.  The machine is sparsely used so I would like a screensaver to
promote our company while it is idle.  When a barcode is scanned in, the
first character of the barcode is taken to exit the screensaver and an
invalid barcode is sent to the application.

I have considered adding a whitespace (0x20h to be exact) to prefix the
data sent by the barcode scanner, but am hoping that there is a way of
configuring the screensaver to be a little more helpful.

Timothy Legg