Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

2010/1/6 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
From what I understand about Linux in general, no.  At the very least, doing
so your be overly complicated.

Thanks, Boyd, that was actually ver informative. As there is no room
for a second tower, I will see about modding the existing tower for
two motherboards. There actually is room, only the CPU cooling tubes
might be problematic.

Oh, and I'm going to have to see if a single 500W power supply with
another pigtail soldered will power both! That should probably be the
weak point in the system!

I actually think this just might be possible, although I'm by no means sure. I've got as far as running an X session on a separate video card in the past, for display purposes only (that is, we ran for example `DISPLAY=0:1 mplayer' to use the alternate display). I experimented briefly with trying to get an actual xdm session on there, and while I could get it to start, the problem was in picking up which device which keyboard/mouse was attached to.

I'm curious about whether this is possible with udev, since that was in the days before it - I think it may - possibly - be, and might have some time to experiment this weekend if you're still interested.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowat Systems Ltd.