Re: Two computers in one: two users each with their own accounts, monitor, and keyboard?

On 2010-01-06 at 03:58:48 -0500, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a desktop computer with onboard VGA and option to add a
> discrete video card. It has plenty of spare USB ports for mice and
> keyboards.
>
> Does Debian support using this computer for _two_ workstations, each
> with their own user accounts, monitor, and keyboard? The goal is to
> save space, electricity, and maintenance in a cramped desk in which
> now two people must each have their own computer (home environment). I
> prefer to stick with Lenny but am willing to experiment with Squeeze
> or even a Debian derivative if need be. Thanks in advance.

I honestly don't know if what you want to do is possible, or if so
how.  It wouldn't surprise me if Debian can support two monitors
on the same workstation.  It would surprise me if Debian can support
two different keyboards on the same workstation.  But I really don't
know.  But here's something that I know is possible.  If you have
a real ASCII terminal, such as a VT100, a serial port on your CPU
case, and a "crossover" serial cable (or a "straight" serial cable
and a null modem), it is possible to connect the ASCII terminal
to the serial port and use it to login to your system.  Of course,
this won't provide you with a graphical user interface, only a
full-screen ASCII terminal.

I actually have a couple of ASCII terminals, and I've always
wanted to hook one up to one of my Debian boxes, but I've never
gotten around to it; so I won't be of much practical, step-by-step
help.  If you decide to go that route, and you get it working,
please let me know what you did and how you did it.