Re: Bookmarks gone, can't make new ones in iceweasel

On Ter, 05 Jan 2010, Hendrik Boom wrote:
I just did a general update ( u U g g in aptitude) on my Debian lenny
system, and now iceweasel (3.0.6) doesn't recognize my bookmarks.  The
bookmarks.html file is still there.  I copied it just in case sonething
would happen to it; I have no problem browsing that file and seeing that
my bookmarks are all there, but it's hard to use as a web page (being
ergonomic only as a menu tree), and the bookmarks menu definitely shows
no bookmarks.

That file is not used anymore. Bookmarks and browsing history are stored in places.sqlite in your profile directory.

Also, I can't make any new bookmarks.  When I try, noting happens, except
for some messages on the error console:

 Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsINavHistoryService.executeQueries]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/
places/menu.xml :: set_place :: line 805"  data: no]

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure
code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
[nsINavBookmarksService.getBookmarkIdsForURI]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/iceweasel/
xulrunner/modules/utils.js :: PU_getMostRecentBookmarkForURI :: line
884"  data: no]

So something has gone wrong.  Anyone know what?

It looks as if I'll have to find another browser for the time being.
Something like this happens every year or two with iceweasel, but usually
it just means I just get to start over putting bookmarks into an empty
bookmarks list.

Is there a usable Debian .deb for chrome yet?  SO far I've only seen an
Ubuntu one.

No need for a new browser. Try moving your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory elsewhere and let Iceweasel create a fresh profile for you. If you can create bookmarks again, you can try to move any necessary data from the old directory. I believe you can import bookmarks.html files.

--
A university faculty is 500 egotists with a common parking problem.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br