Re: aptitude forces full-upgrade

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 07:00:25AM -0600, Mumia W.. wrote:
> Javier Barroso <javibarroso@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/02/2010 04:49 PM, Mumia W.. wrote:
>>> I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than
>>> aptitude because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new
>>> programs (do  a full-upgrade).
>>> [...]
>> I'm not sure, but maybe aptitude wants to install recommends. If you
>> run "aptitude -s -R safe-upgrade", it want to install all new stuff ?
>
> Thanks. I have recommends disabled:

FYI:
Unless you are on netbook or very resource limitted PC, I think disabling
"recommends" is not very good idea.  I might do that for my ARM based
mobile internet device but I will not do that for my core2 Intel system,
with >>100GB HDD.

(Of course, if you are running server and know exactly how to set it up,
disabling recommends are an option.)

Basically, you have more than enough space and shrinking installed
syatem has little benefits.

Osamu