Re: Removing the indent-string quote marker '>' in emails.

On 2010-01-02 at 22:23:25 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> What's wrong with using technical solutions to solve social problems?
> Isn't that what things like spam filtering are all about?

I wouldn't call spam filtering a "solution" to the spam problem.
spam still exists and still gets through, though not as often
as the spammers would like.  I saw a piece of spam posted to this list
just yesterday.  As long as there is sin in the heart of man,
there will be spam.  :-)

Likewise, any technical "solution" to a social problem is not really
a solution but a management technique.  It can't really solve the
problem, only manage it.  It gets down to "why do people do this?"
There are two possibilities: ignorance and arrogance.  Ignorance can
be fixed through education.  Arrogance cannot.  If people are doing
it because they are lazy, or to be obnoxious, you can't fix that
through education.  That's a heart issue.  And a certain amount of it
will get through no matter what technical "solution" is tried.
That's my two cents worth.

Cheers,
Steve