Masquerading problems: squeeze via lenny

Hi everybody,

I'm banging my head against the wall with this one and could appreciate
some hints. Here is the setup:

- the gateway box is running lenny and is connected to the internet via
  eth0 using PPPoE and using shorewall(-perl) to set up a simple
  firewall and IP forwarding to a 192.168.xx.xx/24 on eth1. It also has
  dnsmasq for DNS caching and DHCP.

- the client box is running squeeze (up-to-date) and is connected via
  eth0 to eth1 of the lenny box and is now on static IP.

The problem is that some websites work flawlessly from the squeeze box
and some stall. The same sites are ok from the lenny box. Here are
example sessions with wget:

$ wget www.google.com
--2010-01-03 10:18:58--  http://www.google.com/
Resolving www.google.com... 74.125.87.104, 74.125.87.147, 74.125.87.103, ...
Connecting to www.google.com|74.125.87.104|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://www.google.ro/ [following]
--2010-01-03 10:18:58--  http://www.google.ro/
Resolving www.google.ro... 74.125.87.104, 74.125.87.147, 74.125.87.103, ...
Reusing existing connection to www.google.com:80.
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: “index.html”

    [ <=>                                                                                                         ] 6,630       --.-K/s   in 0.001s

2010-01-03 10:18:58 (4.33 MB/s) - “index.html” saved [6630]

$ wget www.livecdlist.com
--2010-01-03 10:19:49--  http://www.livecdlist.com/
Resolving www.livecdlist.com... 74.81.93.114
Connecting to www.livecdlist.com|74.81.93.114|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

...and it never completes.

I have no idea what to try so any hints are welcome.

Regards,
Andrei