aptitude forces full-upgrade

I just upgraded Squeeze, but I had to use apt-get rather than aptitude because aptitude wanted to force me to install a lot of new programs (do a full-upgrade).

I specifically entered the command "aptitude safe-upgrade"; however, it wanted to install a lot of extra packages--many more than "apt-get upgrade"; I also noticed that "aptitude full-upgrade" and "aptitude safe-upgrade" have the same result--aptitude wants to install many more packages.

My /etc/apt/preferences is non-existent, and here is my /etc/apt/sources.list:

#### Squeeze
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian squeeze main contrib non-free

#### Lenny
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian lenny main contrib non-free

#### Sid
# deb-src ftp://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian sid main contrib non-free

Has anyone else seen this?
What can I do, if anything, to get "safe-upgrade" working normally again?