Re: alternate web browser etc...

>Alan Ianson wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-01-01 at 17:02 +0100, Bernard wrote:
>> Hi to Everyone,
>>
>> I wish to install an alternate web browser, else than the firefox clone
>> (iceweasel v3.0.6) that I already have. Iceweasel does fulfill my needs
>> and expectations, but, for various reasons, I wish to also have
>> something else too, one of these reasons being that it would be
>> initiated with alternate identities, mail addresses etc.. In the
>> meantime, this would allow me to test something else, which is the
>> reason why I don't plan to install 'Netscape' which is about the same as
>> Firefox/Iceweasel, sometimes using same conf files, bookmarks and so on.
>
> Gnome's browser epiphany comes to mind, it's also based on firefox IIRC.
> Also have a look at galeon if you need an alternate.
>
>> Why not 'Opera', even if it is not free (I doubt if it is very
>> expensive) ? I may miss the knowledge of something better that Opera...
>
> I don't think opera needs to be registered any more, haven't looked at
> it in a while though. There are debs for it at the opera website, it can
> be added to sources.list and installed with apt-get or aptitude &
> friends also. Not a bad browser too if you need another.
>
>> As for newsgroups, I also wish to experiment something new. Up to now, I
>> have rarely used "Firefox" for usenet news, as I preferred "pan".  I've
>> heard of "pine"  for newsgroups, but I heard that it was kind of hard to
>> configure ; this may be wrong. For e-mail, I used to use "staroffice
>> mail" in the old days when that did exist (So 5.1 and 5.2), and, ever
>> since then, I am using Thunderbird, that is, Icedove on Debian Lenny.
>> Alternately, I plan to use 'mutt', which is already up and running on my
>> systems ever since 2005 or so, of which I have so far only made I an
>> irregular use. Willing to use it again, I lately spent some time
>> reconfiguring exim4, but it now seems to operate all right.
>
> Pine is what I used many moons ago for mail & news. I suppose it might
> be a bit old school now but it does work wonderfully. Good if you want a
> console mail & news app. There is also tin for newsgroups, also maybe
> old school but works well.

Hi, I use KDE has my main DE so Konqueror is a "natural" choice when I
don't want to start Iceweasel with it's saved 10 tabs+ for a quick browse.
I also sometime use Opera (installed from the ".deb" provided on their
website), and lately I have been testing Google Chrome Linux builds
(installed from their ".deb", note that just like Opera the Chrome
package drops a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d to integrate with
Debian's package management, if you don't like it you have to erase it
and update manually).

All those browsers are working more or less fine, minus occasional
problems with flash or java (I'm on amd64), but none come close to
Iceweasel's + extensions features IMHO.

Have a nice time experimenting.

godt nytt år to the list.