Re: dlink dwa-556

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:31:21 +0100
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:38:04PM -0500, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:18:42 +0100
> > lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > > Hm, at least wicd seems to have set the ESSID and to have found a
> > > cell.
> >
> > ??  This output has nothing to do with wicd.
>
> Not exactly, but it was one of the programs I tried out, and
> apparently it left the device like half configured.

No.  The output that I was commenting on was just the scan results from
running 'iwlist wlan0 scan'.  That command simply tells you what other
wireless stations the card sees, and says *nothing at all* about your
card's configuration.

> > AFAIK, Debian doesn't modify wpa_supplicant, but when you properly
> > configure /etc/network/interfaces, then the Debian network scripts will
> > create the appropriate wpa_supplicant config file (on the fly?) and
> > properly invoke wpa_supplicant, pointing it at the appropriate config
> > file.  When this works, you can see what Debian's done by grepping
> > through the output of 'ps ax' for 'wpa_supplicant'.
>
> It seems that Debian has provided scripts that read entries from
> /etc/network/interfaces and then use wpa_supplicant to set
> up the wireless networking accordingly. That way, there is no need for
> a wpa_supplicant.conf.

That's what I just said ;)

> And it's working fine now :) It's even pretty easy once you know how
> to do it, but this was the first time I've set up a wireless
> card/connection. Maybe I can improve on the documentation in the
> Debian wiki ... and make an article about setting up this particular
> network card or something ...

Great!  Glad you got it working.

Celejar