Re: How to move an OS install from one primary partition to another?

Klistvud wrote:
Dne, 08. 12. 2009 08:32:13 je Jochen Schulz napisal(a):

IMHO, your biggest problem won't be with copying/ghosting/dd-ing your Windows partition: your biggest (in fact, unsurmountable) problem will be all your C:\Windows and C:\Documents and Settings and C:\Program Files (and similar) references, hard-coded into your Windows Registry. IIRC from my (over forever, thankfully!) Windows days, there was no *easy* way to make a Registry, built on a C:\ drive to work reliably on a D:\, E:\ and so on. I think your best bet is to use the swap (hd0,hd1) command in Grub (the syntax is wrong, since I'm quoting from memory, but you surely know what I mean).

If beside the drive letters (partition locations) their respective sizes are also a problem, just resize them with GParted, it's an *incredibly* mature piece of software.

Good luck, you're gonna need it if Windows is involved!

Agreed.

To come up to date a little, Windows can now re-letter drives persistently. Of course, you do need to boot into it to change the default... but even in the old days, Windows wouldn't label a drive at all unless it recognised the filesystem, so you could have one or two Linux partitions ahead of a Windows one which would still get labelled C:. You could also get away with some out-of-order partition numbering, at least with the NT series. The only official way of getting NT4 onto a large drive involved two separate installations of it and some decidedly dodgy partition ordering, placing a primary after the extended partition. What you really had to avoid with a multi-partition Windows installation was adding a second drive containing one or more primary partitions, the first of which would be auto-lettered D:, which would totally screw up Windows.

The Vista bootloader bears no resemblance at all to the NT-to-XP version. There's no boot.ini and in fact no text configuration file. Configuration must be done with a Microsoft utility. On the plus side, the bootloader is much more powerful, and among other things can schedule a number of boots to different OSes. This is useful to remotely dual/multi-boot without getting stuck in one OS.

--
Joe