Re: [OT] Customizing keyboard shortcuts in Iceweasel

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 11:24:10 -0800
Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 16:16, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mozilla claims that it can't be done:
> >
> > "Configuring keyboard shortcuts
> >
> > Firefox does not provide any method of customizing keyboard shortcuts."
> >
> > Is this for real (and up-to-date)?!  A serious, sophisticated GUI
> > application that doesn't allow this sort of customization?!
>
> yep, the keyboard shortcut code hasn't been seriously overhauled
> since the Mozilla 1.x days (pre-Firefox). The have talked about
> reworking it at some point, but so far other things have taken priority.
>
> > I suppose that I could file a wishlist bug, but if upstream already
> > acknowledges the deficiency, is there any point?
>
> I think there is a bug, if you have a bugzilla account you can vote for
> it, but I doubt it will make much of a difference.

Thanks for the info.

> > What I want to do is to bind keystroke combinations to bookmarks, so
> > that I can open sites easily with such combos.  Is there a way to do
> > this?
>
> I don't know about binding keystrokes to a bookmark, but you can use
> keywords. Open the properties of a bookmarked item and enter the
> characters you want to use in the keyword field. Now if you type those
> characters in the url bar, you will go to that bookmark.

Thanks, that'll be useful, but I anyway pretty much get that behavior
by just typing the first few characters into the location bar.  With
keywords, I suppose that I can make that more efficient, although it's
annoying that it'll still require at least four keystrokes: CTRL-L to
set the focus to the location bar, a single character keyword such as
'k', and ENTER.

> If you combine that with a %s instead of a search term in a url, and then
> "keyword searchterm" (no quotes) in the url bar will perform that search.
> For example I have an imdb keyword, so if I type imdb casablanca, it
> searches imdb for casablanca.

I've heard of this before, but never paid much attention to.  I really
need to start doing this for things like searching for bugs in package
'foo', and so on.

/me sets up a bookmark with
url=http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=%s and
keyword=db