Re: v. elementary problem installing Lexmark z600 printer driver on Lenny

On Friday 04 December 2009 13:54:22 Celejar wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:40:30 +0000
>
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I downloaded the tarball from Lexmark and have been following these
> > instructions:
> >
> > $ mkdir lexmark
> > $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder.
> > optional, but recommended.
> > $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
> > $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is
> > broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the
> > script. $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by
> > tail

> > But I came unstuck at:
> > $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
> > which produced the following error: (the gap between the command and the
> > error message was put there by Bash)
> >
> > dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz
> >
> > gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> > tar: Child returned status 1
> > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> > dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$
> >
> > I am now stuck.  I realise that this is elementary and have spent a lot
> > of time trying to solve it myself (Google etc.), but I need help!
>
> Well, AFAIK, this generally means exactly what it says, that the file
> you're providing tar with is not actually in gzip format.

I know!  But I am as at a loss as to what to do about it.

> Presumably
> something is wrong with the file you created in the previous step.
> Post the source of these directions and the location of the file you're
> working on so we can take a look for ourselves?

Thanks, Celejar.

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=answers&startover=y&question=z600+linux&locale=EN&productCode=LEXMARK_Z605&segment=DOWNLOAD&us

Sorry - it is very long.  You may have to copy and paste.  Alternatively,
click on <here> on the Ubuntu Forums page above.  It seems sometimes to go
through to the Window drivers, but entering "600 linux" in the search panel
gets the rest of the way through.

I really would be extremely grateful for some help.

Lisi