Re: v. elementary problem installing Lexmark z600 printer driver on Lenny

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 11:40:30 +0000
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the tarball from Lexmark and have been following these
> instructions:
>
> $ mkdir lexmark
> $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder.
> optional, but recommended.
> $ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
> $ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken
> for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
> $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail

> But I came unstuck at:
> $ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
> which produced the following error: (the gap between the command and the error
> message was put there by Bash)
>
> dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz
>
> gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
> tar: Child returned status 1
> dorothy@Lenny:~/Downloads/z600$
>
> I am now stuck.  I realise that this is elementary and have spent a lot of
> time trying to solve it myself (Google etc.), but I need help!

Well, AFAIK, this generally means exactly what it says, that the file
you're providing tar with is not actually in gzip format.  Presumably
something is wrong with the file you created in the previous step.
Post the source of these directions and the location of the file you're
working on so we can take a look for ourselves?

Celejar