Re: Fatal: Only RAID1 devices are supported as boot devices

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Mathieu Malaterre put forth on 12/3/2009 3:08 PM:
>
>> Ok so the issue is that /boot needs to be contiguous ? Hum, the error
>> message is not as explicit as that...
>
> If you think about this for more than 30 seconds it's perfectly clear
> why this is impossible.  The block striping is performed by the kernel,
> which means the kernel must be fully read from the disk before it can
> control striping the data blocks across the disks.  The machine BIOS
> must load the kernel.  The BIOS isn't aware of Linux striping.  You can
> boot from mirrored disks/partitions because /boot is contiguous on both.
>  You can't boot Linux software RAID5 for the same reason you can't boot
> Linux RAID 0, contiguous /boot.

That's extremely clear indeed ! The issue is that I was confusing
software RAID and hardware RAID. So I rebooted the system and in the
BIOS I setup the RAID0.

It now shows up as "DELL Virtual Disk" with 6Tb of disk (4 * 1.5Tb).
What I do not understand is why the very first disk is visible...
Should I install the /boot in this one ?

Thanks again,
--
Mathieu