Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:03:12AM +0100, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 03. 12. 2009 23:52:28 je Klistvud napisal(a):
>
> What I still don't get, though, is where to put kernel parameters
> in these grub scripts? If I put them in grub.cfg, they'll just get
> overwritten the next time update-grub is run ...

Most of the config can be done in /etc/default/grub.
For kernel parameters, use the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable.

My file :
$ cat /etc/default/grub
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="video=radeonfb:mode_option=1024x768 splash"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via
# VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to
# Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"