Re: Migrating to Grub2 deletes kernel automagic updates and other settings

Dne, 03. 12. 2009 18:26:09 je Chris Jones napisal(a):

> Is the os-prober package installed?

Nope...

> The documentation tells you not to do that, but rather edit the
> 'source'
> files in /etc/grub.d and run update-grub.

Right. But to get to the 'source' files, you have to have a bootable
system ... which I didn't, and had to edit the Grub2 stanzas at boot,
on-the-fly, specifying the correct partition(s)...

> I don't like the idea of grub building its .cfg file from bits and
> pieces of grub-legacy, or lilo stuff that may live on other
> partitions.
>
> So, I let it happen once to build grub.cfg and copied all the stanzas
> from other systems to /etc/grub.d/40_custom, modified them to my
> liking,
> deactivated os-prober by making the script in /etc/grub.d/ '-x', and
> ran update-grub.

Good point. In my case, the missing os-prober may have been the cause
of additional messiness in the final result. Must dig down into /etc/
grub.d and study its bits and pieces. Grub2 is a promising piece of
software, and seems more powerful and manageable than Grub legacy.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801