Re: New to Debian

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 09:29:57AM -0700, debian@toursbymexico.com wrote:
> 1) How can I disable the graphical login and/or avoid X11 to start
> automatically? I can't install the nVidia driver since it tells me to stop
> X11 before. And, is it possible to leave it that way, just with the simple
> text consoles, and start X11 manually when required?

Well, one way to do this would be to close the display manager you
use. For example, if gdm is what is running, I'd use /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Alternately, you can switch runlevels, but that isn't really
necessary, I think. See http://wiki.debian.org/RunLevel and
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/An_introduction_to_run-levels
for details.

> 2) How can I install KDE? Currently it is running with Gnome... I've just
> download all 5 DVDs plus the updates one... the gnome (un)install shows
> most KDE applications to install, but not the full window manager... and,
> once installed, is it safe to remove Gnome to free disk space? Just the
> window manager, not its libraries that should break some dependencies if
> deleted.

Yes. It is free to remove the parts of Gnome which is not needed. To
get KDE, you can install one of the meta packages, such as kde-core
(in Lenny), or get all things KDE with the "kde" package.

> 3) There are some programs/drivers that independently of the distro, I
> prefer to install them by hand from sources. Does it affect in some way if
> I do this? The most common ones are kernel, MySQL, msn, irc, some
> multimedia stuff, etc. but at least the kernel and MySQL that I don't like
> to use packages for them...

It shouldn't, but then, you might have problems getting other
dependencies working. The kernel shouldn't be bother, but MySQL is
more significant, since, if a package from Debian needs MySQL to run,
you'd have to explicitly specify that you have your own MySQL, since
it won't be able to find the Debian installed MySQL.

If package versions being old is your worry, you could consider
Backports, which offer you updated software for Stable Debian
releases: http://www.backports.org

> 4) Is it possible to install LILO instead of GRUB? I know it is better and
> advanced, but I like LILO... would it be safe to install it without
> breaking some kind of dependence?

I believe so, but I don't know the methods/problems. Someone
else/Google should be able to help you with this.

> Well, that's enough by now, today I need at least to setup the nVidia
> driver and hopefully the latest kernel (no matter if it is GRUB by now)...
>
> Thanks for your help,

Have a great time with your Debian installation, and we'll do our best
to answer your queries here.

Kumar