Re: messed up error messages from gcc

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Mike Castle <dalgoda+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, what's the proper solution to this?  Do I need to install
> something?  Or rebuild a locale database somewhere? (if the latter, I
> would have thought that it would have been done automatically upon
> appropriate installs along the way.)  Just go back to C?

Just capturing more information.

Apparently every gcc-4.* has this same issue.  gcc-3.4 does not.

I always thought that part of the joy of the way GNU did translations
was that, if it wasn't available, it would always fall back to the
strings written into the source code (typically English, though not
necessary).  Though, admittedly, the last time I actually read the
docs on any of this stuff was probably over a decade ago, so things
have probably changed.

I guess this boils down to:  is this a bug in gcc or a bug in my set up?

mrc