Re: Charset of the Aptitude reference manual

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 08:47:21AM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 18:25:55 -0500
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:35:01PM EST, Celejar wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > When I look at the Aptitude manual (/usr/share/aptitude/README)
> > > using 'less' (in Xfce4 Terminal), I get undisplayable characters,
> > > shown as '<C2>'.  'file' says that the charset is 'ISO-8859
> > > English text', so I tried preceding the 'less' invocation by
> > > 'LESSCHARSET=iso8859', and those characters are then shown as
> > > undisplayable glyphs (some sort of '?' symbols).  In Iceweasel and
> > > vi(m), they're shown as 'Â'.  What's with this file, and why are
> > > these characters not displayed correctly in any application on my
> > > system?
> >
> > What version of debian?
>
> Sid

Lenny

[..]

I took a look at the README files from unstable and now I can see all
those Â, I counted one hundred of them.

Not nearly as bad as README.es, README.fr, or README.fi, where there a
thousands of invalid characters.

Simple fix for the English version, in vim:

:%s/Â/ /g

Or use 'lynx -dump' to generate the text versions from the html files.

CJ