Charset of the Aptitude reference manual

Hi,

When I look at the Aptitude manual (/usr/share/aptitude/README) using
'less' (in Xfce4 Terminal), I get undisplayable characters, shown as
'<C2>'.  'file' says that the charset is 'ISO-8859 English text', so I
tried preceding the 'less' invocation by 'LESSCHARSET=iso8859', and
those characters are then shown as undisplayable glyphs (some sort of
'?' symbols).  In Iceweasel and vi(m), they're shown as 'Â'.  What's
with this file, and why are these characters not displayed correctly in
any application on my system?

Celejar