Re: virus on linux?

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 06:45:18AM -0500, Allen wrote:
> After all the help I've received on here I finally get to give some heh:
>
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 02:54:47 am Juha Tuuna wrote:
> > abdelkader belahcene wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I am asking if there is a virus on my machine how to detect it.
> >
> > Try scanning with Clamav

[snip]

> Linux and BSD viruses are so rare that the AV software for Linux and BSD,
> generally look for Windows viruses so you don't accidentally infect a friend
> running Windows, or, they can be used on a mail server to prevent the same
> thing. So if you scanned and found a Windows Virus, it's not that you're
> infected, think of it like a "carrier" lol. And obviously, take the
> appropriate precautions.

Interestingly no one has mentioned selinux (or the suse equiv).

Personally I don't like selinux - real pain to configure properly.  But
I was thinking of looking at it again especially after this slashdot

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/09/12/01/0025213/Ethics-of-Releasing-Non-Malicious-Linux-Malware

somebody has done a proof of concept worm for linux.

but I wonder

--
"It's one thing about insurance, that's a Washington term."

	- George W. Bush