Re: newer python installation

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Wolodja Wentland
<wentland@cl.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 12:02 +0100, roberto wrote:
>> hello, i am using lenny and i need to install
>> - python 2.6 and 3.0
>
> You don't want to install 3.0 but the newest release of Python 3 which
> would be Python 3.1.1, or is there another reason why you need exactly
> 3.0?
sorry for the confusion
i was pointing to the 3.x release of python, not a version in particular;
the last one is good for me; i need also the last stable 2.6 version
for back-compatibility reasons with other softwares built upon it

>> Is there any way to get them working under debian lenny ?
>
> Sure. You can compile them yourself. Python 2.6 and 3.1.1 will install
> itself into /usr/local and will therefore not interfere with any Debian
> packaged Python release.
>
> You should make sure to delete /usr/local/bin/python though so that '#!
> /usr/bin/env python' will still resolve to /usr/bin/python . This is
> necessary because there might be some programs packaged by Debian that
> do not declare the Python version they need to run with explicitly if
> they won't run under another version as the one currently shipped in the
> Debian release. (2.5.4)
>
> The situation in regard to '#!/usr/bin/python" vs "#!/usr/bin/env
> python" is not yet resolved in Debian and there might be a couple of
> packages in Debian that install scripts with the "#!/usr/bin/env python"
> shebang even if they won't work with 2.6. These packages should have
> "#!/usr/bin/env python2.5" or "#!/usr/bin/python2.5".
>
> I would prefer all programs installed via the package manager to use
> "#!/usr/bin/env python[X.Y]" instead of "#!/usr/bin/python[X.Y]" because
> that would mean that I could use them regardless of the Python version
> "env python" resolves to in the currently configured environment.

your point of view seems rather good ...
i' ll take a better look into this problem and give my 2cents to the community

--
roberto