Re: problem installing new packages

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 13:11:09 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 19:06:41 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 00:09:07 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
Before the end of install process, I got

"
Configuring libc6
[...]

Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
"

I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.

[...]

Here is what I get :

root@new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_*.deb
dpkg : « ldconfig » introuvable dans la variable PATH.
dpkg: 1 programme(s) attendu(s) introuvable(s) dans la variable PATH.
NB : la variable PATH du superutilisateur doit normalement contenir
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
root@new-host:/home/bd#

Maybe I should run 'ldconfig' ?   I wouldn't dare to test this
without more knowledge ; I wouldn't know what options and arguments
to add.

The problem is that ldconfig (and probably other important stuff) is
missing on your system; dpkg wants to call ldconfig before it installs
the libc6 package, therefore it is jammed. The next thing you can try is
to split the installation into two steps:

dpkg --unpack /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb
dpkg --configure libc6

That might work if "--unpack" does not require dpkg to run ldconfig; I
do not know the internals of dpkg well enough to judge the chances of
success.

If the above does not work then you may have to resort to manually
extracting the files contained in libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch02.en.html#_extracting_package_without_dpkg

Alternatively you could try to fool dpkg by copying /bin/true to /sbin
and then rename the copy to "ldconfig". Again I would not dare to
predict the chances of success of this rather dirty trick.

I just tried something new... a really hazardous test... but since I was nearly ready to reinstall my Lenny, I thought I could take another chance.

Since all error messages mentioned that 'ldconfig' was missing, I checked my DELL laptop on Ubuntu 8.04, which was released about the same date as Debian Lenny. On that Ubuntu system, I found two executable files that are absent from my Debian system : /usr/sbin/ldconfig and /sbin/ldconfig.real. Such files must have been on my system at one time, since the man file is still there ; the executable may have been erased by God only knows what evil process. So, I recuperated those two files from my Ubuntu system and copied them into the same directories with the same rights on my Debian machine. Then I typed :

#ldconfig

The shell came back without a word of protest. So, some process took place.

This being done, I first tried to install 'gphoto2', which had repeatedly failed so far. This time, it did work. Gphoto2 is now installed and its functions appear to operate correctly. Still, the install process returned a few remarks, but it went to its end. Below are the comments ; they include mentions of 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer' which I have not found how to remove from the list of unfinished tasks to be retried ; I have abredged most lines concerning 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer'

# apt-get install gphoto2
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Les paquets supplémentaires suivants seront installés :
 libcdk5
Paquets suggérés :
 gtkam
Les NOUVEAUX paquets suivants seront installés :
 gphoto2 libcdk5
0 mis à jour, 2 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 31 non mis à jour.
1 partiellement installés ou enlevés.
Il est nécessaire de prendre 0o/319ko dans les archives.
Après cette opération, 1233ko d'espace disque supplémentaires seront utilisés.
Souhaitez-vous continuer [O/n] ?
Can't exec "locale": Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16. Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
Sélection du paquet libcdk5 précédemment désélectionné.
(Lecture de la base de données... 110771 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.)
Dépaquetage de libcdk5 (à partir de .../libcdk5_5.0.20060507-1_i386.deb) ...
Sélection du paquet gphoto2 précédemment désélectionné.
Dépaquetage de gphoto2 (à partir de .../gphoto2_2.4.0-1_i386.deb) ...
Paramétrage de ttf-mscorefonts-installer (2.7) ...
Can't exec "locale": Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16. Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.

These fonts were provided by Microsoft "in the interest of cross-
platform compatibility".  This is no longer the case, but they are
still available from third parties.

You are free to download these fonts and use them for your own use,
but you may not redistribute them in modified form, including changes
to the file name or packaging format.

--2009-09-05 17:14:49-- http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/corefonts/andale32.exe Résolution de surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net... échec: Connexion terminée par expiration du délai d'attente.
wget: unable to resolve host address `surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net'
........... (stuff deleted)
andale32.exe: No such file or directory

All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
dpkg : erreur de traitement de ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--configure) :
le sous-processus post-installation script a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
Paramétrage de libcdk5 (5.0.20060507-1) ...
Paramétrage de gphoto2 (2.4.0-1) ...
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
ttf-mscorefonts-installer

It is to be noticed that install errors are reported only for 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer', not for 'gphoto2'

After this first test, I tried to reinstall libc6, which had so far led to failures.

# aptitude reinstall libc6
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances Lecture des informations d'état... Fait Lecture de l'information d'état étendu Initialisation de l'état des paquets... Fait
Écriture de l'information d'état étendu... Fait
Lecture des descriptions de tâches... Fait Les paquets suivants seront RÉINSTALLÉS :
 libc6
Les paquets partiellement installés suivants seront configurés :
 ttf-mscorefonts-installer
0 paquets mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 1 réinstallés, 0 à enlever et 31 non mis à jour. Il est nécessaire de télécharger 0o/4438ko d'archives. Après dépaquetage, 0o seront utilisés.
Écriture de l'information d'état étendu... Fait
Can't exec "locale": Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16. Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
Préconfiguration des paquets...
(Lecture de la base de données... 110812 fichiers et répertoires déjà installés.) Préparation du remplacement de libc6 2.7-18 (en utilisant .../archives/libc6_2.7-18_i386.deb) ... Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16. Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
Dépaquetage de la mise à jour de libc6 ...
Paramétrage de libc6 (2.7-18) ...
Installation de la nouvelle version du fichier de configuration /etc/gai.conf ... Installation de la nouvelle version du fichier de configuration /etc/bindresvport.blacklist ...
invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/glibc.sh not found.
dpkg : erreur de traitement de libc6 (--configure) :
le sous-processus post-installation script a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 100
Paramétrage de ttf-mscorefonts-installer (2.7) ...

These fonts were provided by Microsoft "
............ stuff deleted
All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
dpkg : erreur de traitement de ttf-mscorefonts-installer (--configure) :
le sous-processus post-installation script a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 1
Paramétrage de libc6 (2.7-18) ...
invoke-rc.d: unknown initscript, /etc/init.d/glibc.sh not found.
dpkg : erreur de traitement de libc6 (--configure) :
le sous-processus post-installation script a retourné une erreur de sortie d'état 100
Des erreurs ont été rencontrées pendant l'exécution :
ttf-mscorefonts-installer
libc6
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait Construction de l'arbre des dépendances Lecture des informations d'état... Fait Lecture de l'information d'état étendu Initialisation de l'état des paquets... Fait
Lecture des descriptions de tâches... Fait

So, even though this reinstall went a lot farther than usual, I don't know to what point I really got.

What should I do next ?