Re: problem installing new packages

On Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 00:09:07 +0200, Bernard wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 20:26:06 +0200, Bernard wrote:
>
> >>Before the end of install process, I got
> >>
> >>"
> >>Configuring libc6
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>Do you want to upgrade glibc now ?
> >>"
> >>
> >>I replied 'no', and, so far, I have not attempted to continue this
> >>install process of 'audacity' and the upgrade of glibc.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>Ever since then, I am encountering problems and error messages when
> >>trying to install something. For instance, if I do :
> >>
> >>#apt-get install gphoto2
> >>
> >>the install process starts... then :
> >>
> >>"
> >>Can't exec "locale": no file or directory of this type at
> >>/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
> >>Use of uninitialized value $Debconf::Encoding::charmap in scalar
> >>chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
> >>dpkg : « ldconfig » not found in the variable PATH.
> >>dpkg: 1 expected program not found in the variable PATH.
> >>NB : the variable PATH of the superuser should contain
> >>/usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin et /sbin.
> >>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
> >
> >/usr/bin/locale and especially /sbin/ldconfig are important programs
> >which are part of the libc-bin package. Your aborted libc6 upgrade seems
> >to have removed this package (and possibly others), or something is
> >wrong with your $PATH.
> >
> >Please post the output of this command
> >dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
> >
> >so that we can see the status of libc-related packages on your system.
> Here it is :
>
> new-host:/home/bd# dpkg -l libc6\* libc-\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'
> Souhait=inconnU/Installé/suppRimé/Purgé/H=à garder
> rc libc-bin 2.9-25
> un libc-dev <néant>
> ii libc6 2.7-18
> ii libc6-dev 2.7-18
> ii libc6-i686 2.7-18
> un libc6.1 <néant>

That does not look too bad on first glance, you seem to have the Lenny
versions of the libc6* packages installed, and the testing version of
libc-bin was removed again. In that case /sbin/ldconfig should still be
part of libc6 itself. What do you get from:

file /sbin/ldconfig

dpkg -L libc6 | grep ldconfig

echo $PATH

(the last one as root)