Re: Nvidia binary driver installation

>oss@larstennstedt.de wrote:
>
>Hello,
>
>I have a question about the installation of the binary nvidia driver.
>It is a time ago that I used Debian and at that time you could install
>the driver with apt-get directly from the non-free repository. I
>installed testing/squeeze and sid in virtual machines and was surprised
>that I was force to use module-assistant and so on. It is no problem at
>all.
>1.) Is that the new default way of installing the nvidia driver coming
>with Squeeze or is this a temporary situation because Squeeze is still
>in testing state?
>2.) Is it possible to install the nvidia driver from Sid with
>module-assistant? Apt-pinning is already configured.
>
>Thank you for your help!
>
>Greetings,
>Lars Tennstedt

Hello,
did just that, installing nvidia from Sid in Squeeze, without trouble.
Just used module-assistant to compile (but not install yet)
"nvidia-kernel-source" (manually choosen from Sid with aptitude), then
switch to a console. Uninstall old driver if necessary, install
nvidia-common and the newly compiled nvidia module. Then install all the
rest (nvidia-glx etc...) from Sid as desired.

Here it's:

aptitude search ~S~i~nnvidia
i   nvidia-glx
i   nvidia-glx-ia32
i   nvidia-kernel-2.6.30.5-vanilla64
i   nvidia-kernel-common
i   nvidia-kernel-source
i A nvidia-libvdpau1
i   nvidia-libvdpau1-ia32
i   nvidia-settings
i   nvidia-xconfig

Make sure xorg.conf is properly configured (driver "nvidia" in section
"Device"), and that's all.
If you want the -ia32 packages too, you'll have to play with aptitude to
prevent upgrade of your libc6, but nothing complicated.
I needed to reboot, reloading x wasn't enough (maybe because I was still
running on the previously half-installed nvidia from the infamous ".run").

Runs nicely, kde4 effects are on, Googleearth which wasn't working for
me lately is up and running too.

Tom