Re: Nvidia binary driver installation

oss@larstennstedt.de schreef:
  Hello,

Next time, begin a new message and don't reply to a message already in the list. Now your message appears as a reply to "Re: ssh hardly usable after login", which probably causes many people not to read your mail.
I have a question about the installation of the binary nvidia driver. It is a time ago that I used Debian and at that time you could install the driver with apt-get directly from the non-free repository. I installed testing/squeeze and sid in virtual machines and was surprised that I was force to use module-assistant and so on. It is no problem at all. 1.) Is that the new default way of installing the nvidia driver coming with Squeeze or is this a temporary situation because Squeeze is still in testing state?
Squeeze used to have the kernel modules already compiled for 2.6.26 in the non-free reps, I thought. They're not yet available for the new 2.6.30 kernel, which came in testing a few weeks ago. But, yes, I expect that when squeeze gets stable, there will be precompiled modules in the non-free reps.
2.) Is it possible to install the nvidia driver from Sid with module-assistant? Apt-pinning is already configured.
Yes, no problem. Same kernel anyway.

Sjoerd