Nvidia binary driver installation

Hello,

I have a question about the installation of the binary nvidia driver. It is a time ago that I used Debian and at that time you could install the driver with apt-get directly from the non-free repository. I installed testing/squeeze and sid in virtual machines and was surprised that I was force to use module-assistant and so on. It is no problem at all.
1.) Is that the new default way of installing the nvidia driver coming with Squeeze or is this a temporary situation because Squeeze is still in testing state?
2.) Is it possible to install the nvidia driver from Sid with module-assistant? Apt-pinning is already configured.

Thank you for your help!

Greetings,
Lars Tennstedt