OT: MTA --- market share

Hi,

This is getting OT....

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 11:05:38AM +0100, kj wrote:
> Steve Kemp wrote:
>>   Its a religious argument and one that gets repeated every
>>  six months or so.  Pick one, either the default or the one
>>  that your most knowledgeable local person prefers.
>
> I'm comfortable with sendmail, qmail and postfix, work for a company
> with a couple of thousand installs of each.
>
>>   At the end of the day all are capable of doing the same
>>  thing.  Its like asking which is the best fruit: apple or
>>  orange?

I like grape :-)

> I know which one I consider the best.  That wasn't my question.  I'm
> curious about server market share.

This is interesting question.

Google on "server market share mail transport agent" or check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_transfer_agent , you get link to

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/sysadmin/2007/01/05/fingerprinting-mail-servers.html

"the most popular by far is still the old guard, Sendmail (12.3 percent),
with Postfix a relatively close second (8.6 percent). Exim and qmail are
roughly tied (5.3 and 5.0 percent, respectively) in third place."

This is from 01/05/2007.

Quite interesting article to read.

Osamu