Re: Help with ndiswrapper and Broadcom wireless

On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 01:51:30PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> Thierry Chatelet wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 02 July 2009 05:09:51 JoeHill wrote:
> > > I first tried to get wireless working following this page on the Debian
> > > Wiki:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx
> > >
> > > but then found out that my particular device was not supported by that
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > I then tried the tutorial on this page:
> > >
> > > http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
> > >
> > > I have a Broadcom Corporation BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 03), so I got the
> > > driver from HP, the vendor of this notebook. It is installed, and shows up
> > > in ndisgtk, but shows 'Hardware present: no'.
> > >
> > > I installed wicd to see if that would at least let me see more of what was
> > > going on, but although it says it's running, when I try to access the wicd
> > > network manager, nothing opens. Gnome network manager shows no wireless
> > > connection.
> > >
> > > Any tips really greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > --
> >

> > A Linux driver for the Broadcom bcm43xx wireless chips.
> > Broadcom never released details about these chips. So this driver is based
> > upon reverse engineered specifications.
> >
> > This driver was included into the Linux kernel since 2.6.17-rc2.
> >
> > Another branch of this driver, based on the Devicescape 802.11 Stack, which
> > should be the future in Linux wireless support and which supports advanced
> > capabilities (namely, full WPA support), can be found in the wireless-dev
> > tree:
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-dev.git
>
> I would like to try this, but I am completely unfamiliar with how to approach
> this. Is this similar to subversion? How to I retrieve this code?
>
> > The bcm43xx-fwcutter tool (required - see documentation for further info) can
> > install with aptitude.
> > So remove ndiswrapper and try again.
> > Give some detail from ifconfig, iwconfig..
>
> I already have the fwcutter tool installed from previous attempts, and I've
> removed ndiswrapper. ifconfig and iwconfig both show no wireless devices.
>
> Many thanks!

Any chance you're affected by this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
(Thanks to somebody on this list for posting that link a while back).

My Dad's got an HP DV6000 laptop and the wireless device started "disappearing" intermittently.  Not it's permanently gone.  It's apparently a known issue with his laptop.  I
bought him a USB wireless device from newegg and it works great.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320107

He's running Ubuntu 8.04, but I also tested the device on Debian Lenny with success.

-Rob